General Information
Phone Numbers
(707) 464-9506
Emergencies: Dial 911
377 J Street
Crescent City,

Monday - Thursday
7:30am - 5:30pm
Inspections: Monday - Thursday
9:00am - 4:00pm

Building Department

Crescent City now offers online permit submittals through MyGov. You can access the public portal now or watch the video below to learn more.

Applying for a Building Permit

City of Crescent City Residential, Commercial Plan Requirements:

The City of Crescent City's Building Inspection Division is regulated by the California Building Standards Code which is also referred to as the California Code of Regulations, Title 24 as adopted by the State of California and as modified by the City of Crescent City. Other applicable codes are the CA Health & Safety Code, CA Business & Professions Code, CA Administrative Code, CA Fire Code, and other codes relevant to public health and safety regarding structures.

A Building Permit Application for properties within the City Limits can be obtained at the Crescent City Building Department, located at 377 J Street, or can be found HERE. Please contact the Building Dept. at (707) 464-9506 if you have any questions.

In general the following information will be required:

Proof of Ownership

Copy of Recorded Grant Deed. A permit cannot be issued until a new owner has title and a new recorded deed.

Current Assessor’s Parcel Map

A current parcel map is required. You may purchase one from the Assessor’s office.

4 Copies of a Plot Plan

Plot Plans shall contain the following information: Owners name and address, site address, Assessors Parcel Number (APN), lot size, set backs from property lines, distance between proposed and existing structures, a North arrow, sewer and water line locations, curb, gutter, sidewalk driveway cut details, liquid petroleum gas tank location (LPG), etc.

4 Complete Sets of Construction Plans

Plans shall be drawn to scale; minimum sheet size shall be 24"x 36". Additions to existing structures minimum sheet size shall be 11"x17". All plans prepared by professionals shall bear the seal and signature of same in original ink. No stamp/seal reproductions will be accepted. All new commercial construction including some tenant improvements shall be engineered by a California licensed Civil or Structural Engineer and two complete sets of structural details and calculations shall be submitted with the plans. All roof truss calculations shall be stamped by a California licensed Engineer

4 Copies of Title 24

Submit two sets of calculations showing compliance with the California Energy Commission Regulations (T-24) for new residential, including residential additions and non-residential, commercial construction or use the package method for climate zone 1. The location of water heater, furnace, and AC units are to be shown including manufacturer, model and efficiency. The Certificate of Compliance and Mandatory Measures shall be completely filled out, signed by the proper individuals. All other applicable worksheets and forms shall be included.

The following clearances will be required prior to the issuance of your building permit:

  1. Planning Department - Zoning or Coastal Zone requirements, height, setback, lot coverage, flood, parking requirements, etc. (707) 464-9506
  2. Public Works Department - Sewer and water connections, streets, curbs, gutters and sidewalk requirements, Encroachment permits, storm water retention, etc. (707) 464-9506
  3. Del Norte County Health Department - Commercial kitchens, public pools (707) 464-3191
  4. Del Norte County Unified School District - School Mitigation Impact Fees. (707) 464-0202
  5. City of Crescent City Volunteer Fire Department - Sprinkler systems, fire alarming, commercial kitchen fire suppression, etc. (707) 464-9506
  6. Letter of Authorization from property owner for commercial projects, (tenant improvements).
  7. Agent/Employee notarized authorization when representing Contractor.
  8. A California Licensed Electrical Contractor is required for all commercial construction including owner builders and tenant improvements.

If you have questions please contact: Building Dept. (707) 464-9506