Finance Director Leaver

Linda Leaver, Finance Director

General Information
Phone Numbers
(707) 464-7483 Option 4
Fax: 707-465-4405
Emergencies: Dial 911
377 J Street
Crescent City,

Monday - Thursday
7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Finance FAQ

No answers matched your search
Accounts Payable
Q: I am a vendor. Where do I send an invoice to the City?

A: You can send invoices

  1. By email to
  2. By mail to

City of Crescent City

Accounts Payable

377 J Street

Crescent City, CA 95531

  1. By fax to 707-465-4405
Q: What information needs to be on an invoice that I submit to the City?

A: Your invoice should include your business name, remittance address, itemized detail of the charges (including any shipping or sales tax), invoice number, invoice date, and total amount due.

Q: What do I need to do if this is the first time I have submitted an invoice to the City?

A: You will need to send us a W-9. This form can be obtained from the IRS at or you can request one from

Q: How do I submit my W-9 to the City?

A: You can send your W-9

  1. By email to
  2. By confidential fax to 707-465-1719
  3. By mail to

City of Crescent City

Accounts Payable

377 J Street

Crescent City, CA 95531

Q: Who do I ask about payment status of an invoice that I have submitted?

A: Email is preferred: and include a copy of the invoice in question. You can also call 707-464-7483 ext. 235.

Q: When will I receive a 1099 for payments I have received from the City?

A: If your services and business type meet IRS regulations for a 1099 AND you have been paid more than $600 by the City in a calendar year, we will send you a 1099. You should receive it by the end of January for the prior year. For more information on the IRS regulations, see

Accounts Receivable (for water quality lab and other misc. City invoices)
Q: How do I sign up for an account to be billed for lab services?

A: Complete the application (link to application) and submit it to Be sure to include 3 business references. We will contact your references and your application will be reviewed by the Finance Director. Depending on how quickly your references respond, this can take several weeks. You will be notified by letter when your application is approved or denied. Be sure you have the correct mailing address on your account application for receiving invoices.

Q: Once I am approved for an account, how will I be invoiced?

A: Invoices are mailed once per month (usually around the 10th of the month) for services received the prior month. Payment is due within 30 days of the invoice date.

Q: What do I do if I need invoices sent to a new address?

A: Please contact Chrissy at or 707-464-7483 ext. 235.

Q: What is the penalty if I don’t pay by the due date?

A: The City charges a late fee of $5.50 or 1% of the past due amount (whichever is greater) each month you are past due. If your account is more than 60 days past due, you will not be able to receive lab services until your account is caught up.

Q: How do I get a W-9 from the City?

A: Please contact Chrissy at or 707-464-7483 ext. 235.

Business Licenses
Q: Who needs a business license?

A: Anyone who is doing business within the City limits (even if only for one day). This includes businesses physically located in the City, people who live in Crescent City and operate a business from their home, and businesses located outside the City who come into the City to do business from time to time.

Q: How do I get a business license application?

A: You can download applications from our website, pick up at City Hall, or contact Morgan at 707-464-6517 or

            Business located within the City: Business License

            Business located outside the City but doing work inside the City: Non-Resident Business License

            Farmers Market or Special Event vendor: Farmers Market Business License

Q: What will I need to do to get a business license?

A: You may need approval from various City departments, depending on what type of business you have. Some types of businesses may also require additional approvals or permits from the City or other agencies. These are listed on the application. In addition, you may need to contact the Del Norte County Environmental Health department at 707-465-0426 to see if you need any additional permits for certain types of businesses such restaurants, tattoo artists, and permanent make-up.Please contact Morgan at 707-464-6517 or with any questions.

Q: Do I need an inspection?

A: If your business will be inside City limits and will have customers entering your place of business, you will need an inspection before opening.

Q: What if I’m not sure whether my business is inside or outside City limits?

A: You can call Morgan at 707-464-7483 or email Please have the business address available.

Q: Is my type of business allowed in the location I have selected?

A: You can check the Municipal Code for zoning regulations or contact the Planning Department at 707-464-7483.

Q: How much does a business license cost?

A: That depends on the type of business, number of employees, and other factors. Please see the Business License booklet for the most common fees or the municipal code for additional details.

Q: Are any businesses exempt from paying the business license fee?

A: Yes. Certain types of businesses are exempt from paying the license fee (including insurance, financial institutions, franchised public utilities, and filming operations). In addition, non-profits and veteran-owned businesses are exempt. You still need to complete an application and obtain any necessary approvals, but you will not be charged a fee. You may need to provide proof with your application. If you have any questions, please contact Morgan at 707-464-7483 or

Q: How do I pay my business license fees for the first time?

A: After your application has been processed (including any necessary approvals and permits), we will mail you an invoice. Your first year will be prorated. After your fees are paid, you will receive your business license in the mail.

Q: How do I renew my license each year?

A: Most business licenses expire on June 30 each year (some special licenses for Farmers Market and special event vendors expire on May 31). You will receive a renewal invoice about a month before your license expires. After you have paid your renewal fees, you will receive your new license in the mail.

Q: What if I need to make changes or cancel my business license?

A: You need to inform us if you make any changes that affect the cost of your business license, location, business name, ownership, or if the business is sold or closed. Please contact Morgan at 707-464-7483 or

Q: Where can I find more information about business licenses?

A: Please see the Business License booklet, review the municipal code, or contact Morgan at 707-464-7483 or

Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT)
Q: What is TOT?

A: Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) is a tax on short-term lodging within City limits. It is sometimes called “hotel tax” or “bed tax.”

Q: Do I need to pay TOT?

A: All businesses offering short-term lodging (less than 30 days) within the City limits need to register and pay City TOT. This includes hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, vacation rentals, campgrounds, RV Parks, etc.

Q: How do I register for TOT with the City?

A: Please complete this application and return it to or mail it to

            City of Crescent City

            Attn: Accountant

            377 J Street

            Crescent City, CA 95531

You also need to have a current business license. The business license application is included with the TOT packet linked above. 

Q: How much is TOT?

A: 10%

Q: When is TOT due?

A: TOT is due quarterly, one month after the quarter ends.

            July – September                    due October 31

            October – December              due January 31

            January – March                     due April 30

            April – June                             due July 31

Q: What information do I need to submit quarterly?

A: The quarterly report is here (link to form). You will need to submit this report with your payment for each quarter. You need to submit the form every quarter, even if you don’t owe any TOT for that quarter.

Q: I have closed or sold my business. How do I notify the City?

A: You need to notify the City as soon as your business is sold or closed. You can email or call 707-484-7483. You will need to pay any TOT that is due as of the date of sale or closure.

Q: What records do I need to keep?

A: You need to keep sufficient records for the City to audit your TOT reports and payments. This includes guest register (with guest name, dates of stay, room occupied, rent charged, and TOT charged). You will also need to have a daily/monthly summary report and record of any exemptions. You need to keep these records for at least 3 years.

Q: Where can I find more information about TOT?

A: Please see the City’s Municipal Code Chapter 3.20 or contact Bridget at

Water and Sewer Accounts
Q: How do I sign up for water and sewer service?

A: You will need to fill out an application at City Hall. You will need a government-issued photo ID. If you are not the property owner, you will need to bring a copy of your rental agreement. A deposit is required, unless you have recent good payment history with the City or a reference letter from another utility service. If you are not in the area and need to set up service, call us and we can send you the application.

Q: How much is the deposit?

A: The current deposit rates are

Residential water only (no sewer)                  $100

Residential water and sewer                          $250

Commercial                                                    2.5x average monthly bill

Cleaning/inspection (14 days only)                $50

If you have recent good payment history with the City, or if you provide a reference letter from another current utility bill, your deposit can be waved. If you have previously been shut off for nonpayment, we may charge a higher deposit.

Q: How can I get my deposit returned to me?

A: After you make 12 payments in a row paid in full and on time, you can request your deposit to be returned to you or applied to your account. Otherwise, your deposit is returned to you after you close your account and your final bill is paid.

Q: How much does water and sewer service cost?

A: It depends on where you are located, the size of your water meter, how much water you use, and what type of account you have (residential, commercial, etc.). Current rates are located here. You can check our service coverage map if you are not sure which district you are in.

Q: How will I be billed for water/sewer service?

A: You will be billed once per month. You will receive a postcard by mail, unless you sign up for automatic payment via our online service If you sign up for automatic payment, your bill will be emailed to you each month. If you are missing a bill or have questions about your bill, please call us at 707-464-6517.

Q: When is my payment due?

A: Your monthly bill is due 21 days after the billing date.

Q: How can I pay my bill?

A: You have several options:

  1. Mail your check or money order to 

City of Crescent City

Water Department

377 J Street

Crescent City, CA 95531

  1. Pay online at You can pay once or sign up for automatic monthly payments.
  2. Pay by phone at 800-287-6266
  3. Bring payment in person to City Hall (377 J Street) during office hours
  4. Drop your check or money order in the secure drop box at City Hall
Q: What can I do if I think my water bill is incorrect?

A: You can dispute a bill that you believe is incorrect. The form is here: Request to Dispute Bill

Q: What happens if I can’t pay my bill?

A: The City has a policy for when and how to shut off residential water service for nonpayment. The policy is located here and is available in multiple languages. If your account is in danger of being shut off for nonpayment, you will be notified by mail and/or a door tag. You can request to make payment arrangements to avoid your service being shut off. If you do not make payment arrangements, or do not follow through on your payment arrangement, your service will be shut off. After service is shut off for nonpayment, it will not be turned back on until your bill is paid. Also, if your service is shut off for nonpayment, we may require a higher deposit. 

If you have a sewer-only account, delinquent bills will be added to your property tax bill once per year. 

Q: Who can I contact if I have other questions about my water/sewer account?

A: Please call the water department at 707-464-6517.